Vernacular Homes Ltd
Expert Building Of New Houses To Your Specifications
In The South East
Examples Of Our New Build Projects
Building your own home with Vernacular Homes
Vernacular Homes has worked with many clients on new build projects who self-build in Kent and East Sussex, guiding projects through the planning and construction processes to create unique and characterful residences.
Working with these clients over many years, Vernacular Homes uses the experience gained from new builds and bespoke barn conversions in Kent and the East Sussex areas to achieve the vision of clients who are often realising the ambitions of a lifetime. Every self-build project takes on its own individual character and direction.
We are keen to listen to every client’s ideas and objectives for their bespoke project, allowing us to tailor our design, planning and construction services to your specific requirements.
Our involvement in a project can often start long before any work begins on site. Feel free to call us if you are thinking of building a new house or small development and we can guide you through the design and planning process.
Navigating the Planning Process
As a part of our experience as planning consultants, we can tell you that finding a plot which already has planning consent for a new house can be expensive. There are other alternatives to build a dream house through gaining planning permission on another site. There are several ways of doing this:
- Replace an existing dwelling; this may often be a substandard dwelling. Local authorities will generally have policies which allow you to replace with something better and often with modest increases in size.
- Convert a redundant building: Some derelict buildings such as barns, oasts and other disused industrial buildings can be converted into residential dwellings, policies vary as to when and how this is allowed.
- Fill in the gaps: In certain cases, larger or empty sites within existing towns or villages can be designed to accommodate a new house or two.
- Building on green fields: In exceptional circumstances, there are possibilities of building on sites outside build development with no history of built development. This is not for the faint-hearted and will need to be an exceptional design arrived at through an expensive process which will incorporate a multitude of reports and justifications and with a real prospect of failure.
Whatever your situation. Vernacular Homes will be happy to discuss your project with you so please give us a call or email us.
If you already have a site with permission there may be ways of improving the permitted proposal to give a dwelling which suits you better or develop a more interesting design.
Ready to build?
Whilst we offer a full turnkey service – from the initial concept to the final inspection, other projects may be introduced to us at the construction phase. Either way, our commitment to providing high standards remains unchanged.
Once planning permission has been granted for your new build project, a budget specification will outline the budget costs for the build. You can then choose to instruct us to begin works on site.
We are one of those building firms whose projects are carefully managed by a dedicated team of professionals and specialists allowing each project to proceed smoothly, from architects through to joiners, plumbers, plasterers and many other trades.
Regular weekly meetings between the site agent and the client are often important in allowing clients to be involved in key decision making.
Vernacular Homes can manage your project right through to fitted cupboards, bespoke joinery and the final coat of paint.
Vernacular Homes Ltd, as building contractors in Kent and Sussex, is a registered builder with the NHBC (National House-Building Council) which allows us to build a new home with NHBC Buildmark warranties and ensuring consistently high standards are met with each property.
Why choose VH for your new build project?
We are experienced house builders:
Our comprehensive and well-rounded list of services include converting barns in Kent and Sussex and period restoration in Kent, so we are well placed to tackle many types of build.
Whether you are looking for a traditional-style or contemporary style new build, our commitment to high standards of design and workmanship are the same.
We offer a design and build service:
If you haven’t yet got planning permission we can work with you to create a design which works for you and maximises your chances of gaining planning permission.
Our service is comprehensive:
We can manage the entire process of the build and can include a wide variety of services within the build process: -
- Negotiation with utility companies to secure services for the building.
- Working with a Building Control Approved Inspector to ensure the building meets Building Regulations
- Meeting the required level for the Code for Sustainable Homes
- An extensive range of groundworks and landscaping
- Basement construction
- Complex structural works
- Bespoke joinery and fixtures and fittings
- Hi-tech electrical and audiovisual systems
- Supply and fitting of kitchen and bathrooms
- Interior and exterior decoration
We operate in any small village or town in Kent and East Sussex: